$17,000 in Prize Money Award to Great Plains Native Artists
Emerging artist Brenna Ravenshead, 18, of Custer, SD, walked away with the $2,500 Best of Show award for her artwork, Beaded Fawn Head Bag, at the third annual Gathering of People, Wind and Water. The Great Plains Native arts festival drew nearly 50 artists and more than 4,000 visitors to Main Street Square on Saturday, July 18.
“We haven’t been this excited about a young artist in a long time,” said Dan Tribby, of Prairie Edge Trading Company and Galleries, which carries Ravenshead’s work and was one of the show’s major sponsors. “Brenna has exceptionally unique designs and makes everything in the traditional ways we just don’t see anymore — brain-tanned hides, real sinew and antique beads. It’s rare to see such accomplished design skills and craftsmanship in an artist of any age.”
The Gathering’s highly coveted People’s Choice award went to Beverly (Bear King) Moran, a traditional beader based in Albuquerque, NM. Nearly 700 visitors voted in the competition during the market on Saturday.
Except for People’s Choice, the show’s $17,000 award winners were selected by a panel of judges that included Black Hills State University professor Jace DeCory; Michael Pangburn, South Dakota Arts Council; Masayuki Nagase, The Sculpture Project; and Jeffrey Viken, Chief United States District Judge.
Awards were announced at a reception at the Journey Museum and Learning Center on Friday, July 17.
Awards and winners included:
Best of Show: Brenna Ravenshead, Beaded Fawn Head Bag
Best of Division I – Adornment: Beverly (Bear King) Moran, Winona - Lakota for First Daughter
Best of Division II - Two Dimensional: Angela Babby, Little Six (Sakpe Da)
Best of Division III - Three Dimensional: Emil Her Many Horses, Lakota Mother and Child
Best of Emerging: Tani Gordon, Ina (Sponsored by Prairie Edge Trading Co. & Galleries)
Innovation Award: Gordon Coons, Makwa the Healer (Sponsored by The Perfect Hanging Gallery & Arts Rapid City)
Publicity Award: Roger Broer, July at Crazy Horse Memorial (Sponsored by Visit Rapid City)
Special Awards Division I – Adornment:
- Troy Brave Heart, Carry On
- Emil Her Many Horses, Floral Quilled Fan & Purse
- Marie Martin, Osage Girl from Grayhorse
- Breana Ravenshead, Fully Beaded Cradle Bundle with Tail
- Paul Szabo, Red Tail Dragonfly
Special Awards Division II - Two Dimensional:
- Keith BraveHeart, Wakanyeja
- Gordon Coons, Madeline Island
- Evans Flammond, Sr., Beauty of Adornment
- Linda Szabo, Mom & I Diptych
- Jim Yellowhawk, Lakota Summertime
Special Awards Division III - Three Dimensional:
- Randall Blaze, Tatanka Constellation
- Marty Cuny, In Honor of Crazy Horse
- Larry J. DesJarlais, Jr., Coup Medicine
- Donald F. Montileaux, Circle Around
- Nelda Schrupp, Decorative Dance Rattle "4 Nations"
Special Awards Emerging:
- Hillary Kempenich, Rise Up. Be Heard.
- Wade Patton, Celebration
- Jennifer White, 7 Sisters
People’s Choice Award: Beverly (Bear King) Moran